Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Another recommendation...

Hi girls! Love hearing about some of these new reads (sorry, am not familiar with Lorrie Moore), and have another recommendation for any of you that might be interested. Sorry, it's 926 pages, fiction but reads like a most amazing memoir (the author does have quite a colorful history)-am having a very hard time right now deciding which book to pick up, Shantaram or The Help, as they both qualify for "can't put it down" in my book (don't think I'll ever be able to use the term "page-turner" again, in deference to our fearless blog creator!). Anyway, if you're in the mood for a memorable read some time, pick up Shantaram (by Gregory David Roberts)-if you didn't like "Slumdog" (the movie) or have no interest in India, it might not appeal to you, but if you're like me and have a fascination with such an ancient and huge culture that most of us don't know that much about (yet still don't have a huge desire to visit!), you might love this book like I do! Marde

Added by Ann: Here's the NY Times Review of Shantaram

P.S. Just finished off the last piece of "Jeanine's Apple Pie", wasn't quite as fabulous as hers as I used a purchased crust but still quite delicious and a huge family hit! Thanks again, Jeanine (and Sally for bringing her and letting her make dessert)!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! 976 pages seems a bit daunting...however, I did finally make it through Pillars of the Earth...
    Thanks for the rec, Marde.

    ReplyDelete